Welcome to the official website of LegendMUD, one of the internet's longest-running multi-user dungeons. Our world offers you, the enterprising adventurer, a chance to hop across time and become one of Earth's own legends. Legend is highly customized, and offers even a seasoned MUD veteran a treasure chest of unique possibilities in combat, magic, quests, and far, far more!
If you are new to Legend, please check out our section on Getting Started for some helpful maps and advice. To learn more about exactly what LegendMUD is all about, see our What is LegendMUD? section.
In an online community such as ours, just as in real life, we unfortunately come across the news that one of our members has passed on, lost a battle with some disease or sickness. It is with a heavy heart that we bring the news of one of our long-standing players known to Legend players as Quimby has passed away Monday, July 20th, 2009.
A special edition of the Legendary Times has been sent with thoughts and memories of Quimby's player, and a plaque has been added to the Garden of Remembrance in his memory.
Quimby will be sorely missed by all who knew him. May he rest in peace.
Happy Birthday LegendMUD!
Another year has gone by already. It seems like just yesterday that I was working on writing last year's birthday post. This year has been another pretty good year for Legend, I hope you all agree. And we're sure that there are even more things in store for you all through- out the next year. So stay tuned!
And with that, on with the surprises!
The LT is now in game! You can stop by the LT offices over in North Africa, and even purchase the latest LT in London and Pittsburgh. Check 'em out!
New moods and socials! Several people submitted new ideas to Autumn and
Haley has been hard at work putting the approved ones in. Take a look
and have fun!
Socials: abuse, afkchk, ahem, apologize, gnod(greet nod), harem, panic, shun, tbite.
Moods: brooding, conniving, irritating, majestic, spiritual.
Disarm Trap and Set Trap changes - No more will you have to learn both of these skills. Now you will just learn the new TRAPPING skill and be able to use both of these commands! Those of you that have both disarm trap and set trap will automatically be moved to knowing trapping and reimbursed a practice for the second skill. Also, if you only know EITHER disarm trap or set trap, you will automatically be given trapping and be able to use both if you meet the reqs.
Tan and Skin changes - You guessed it! We've also combined these two skills into the new TANNERY skill. Those of you that have both skin and tan will noticed a returned practice and the tannery skill in your allskills. As with above, if you know either tan or skin, you will automaticily be given tannery and able to use both commands.
Gift Boxes! Want to give a present to somebody? Put it in a new gift box for them to open. The box is marked with your name once you close it so they will know who it is from. Once the box is opened, the contents are taken out and the box disappears. You will see these from Immorts first, but look forward to them showing up in game for sale soon.
Bandages rolls changes! You can now see that a roll is full, or not. They will change their description based upon the number of bandages within the roll. Also, when there are only 2 bandages left in a roll and you unroll one, both will become single strips of bandage. No more 1 roll bandages.
Cartography and Geography skills! Check back here tomorrow for more information on these two new and fun skills.
There's a rumor about some strange superhero showing up this weekend... Trousers, the newest member of the Legends of the Past!
Legend's Down Time
We're very sorry for the unexpected down time these past 9 days, but we're all fixed up and ready for action once again.
A little bit about what happened: Shortly after LA and Lorenzo went on vacation for the holiday, Chicago had a bout of nasty weather which most likely caused a brief power outage. The mud machine and all things associated with it are on UPS power backups. However, the one that was holding some network equipment did not come back on after the power flicker and so the mud was running happily along and not connected to the internet.
Because of this, housing charges, corpse timers, clan timers and every other timer I forgot to mention have been ticking away the past 9 days. Some people's houses were repo'd. Some corpses were decomposed. Luckily, the mud remained up the entire time and none of the items were lost, so we* were able to scoop it all up, restore the houses, dump all of the contents back inside(sorry for the spam in there guys!), and save corpse eq into bags for everyone.
As a result of all of this, for the next 9 days we are doing the following: turned off clans disbanding, turned down the cost of housing charges to basically a few coins(though the majority of you will see 0 charge). We have also extended ownership on corpses and housing items to 16 days instead of 8.
On top of this, double xp has been turned on for the remainder of the week. The PR department will be running all of their holiday games that were planned for the holiday.
We hope that you all had a wonderful holiday, and look forward to the (late) holiday here on Legend!
Sandra and Lorenzo
* When I say "we", of course I mean Lorenzo, who has been working all night since he and LA drove 2 days to return back home.
New Area Installed: Svartalfheim!
In the Norse mythology, the Alfar were members of a race of minor gods, often used as messengers or soldiers by the Aesir and Vanir. The Alfar lived in Alfheim, once of the Nine worlds, close to Asgard. However, their cousins, the Svartalfar (from Svart: Dark) were shorter creatures, often bearing a beard and known for their mastery of the arts of the forge. Another tribe of Alfar, the Dokkalfar (from Dokk: Below) were living under the surface of the earth, in network of caves and tunnels and were known for their malevolent temper.
Svart was added on November 15th, 2008. Come check it out!
DOUBLE XP WEEKEND!
September 28th, 2008 -- LegendMUD is announcing it's first official Double Xp Weekend! During the weekend of October 3rd thru October 5th, we will be doubling the xp for mob kills, and quests.
So dig out those dusty characters you haven't felt like leveling, or get ready to work on the ones you have leveled! Bring a friend or two along for the ride!
Pass it on! Who knows, maybe we'll have a surprise or two as well...
UPCOMING JOB FAIR!
July 7th, 2008 -- We'd like to announce the first-ever LegendMUD Job Fair, to be held during the first weekend in August.
The Job Fair will be an all-day event that will feature booths dedicated to morts and immorts who are seeking out other players to fill various needs: Heroes, clan members, LT columnists, RP companions, and so forth. There will also be some carnival-like games to participate in!
Meanwhile, if you'd like to connect with other players for some task or other and would like to sign up for a booth at the show in advance, please e-mail Chaykin (@legendmud.org) to register. You'll even get to have some customizations for your booth! Registration deadline is July 31, 2008.
Otherwise, you can still show up and offer any one-on-one services you might like to offer, and we encourage everyone to come by and see if anything catches their interest! It's looking to be a fun day of socializing and games, so be there!
LEGENDMUD CELEBRATES 14th BIRTHDAY!
February 14th, 2008 -- Can you believe it's been 14 years already? I won't start reminiscing because I know that you all are anxious to see what new presents we have for you this year. So without further ado, here is what we have in store for you!
Games, Games and More Games!
- We know you've all been enjoying the week-long celebration that the PR department has been running for you with the excellent selection of games and events. Be sure to check the EVENTS calendar for upcoming games!
- Want to do something more for Legend, but just don't feel you want to apply to immort? Well then, becoming a Hero might be right up your alley. Heroes are level 50 characters that, once accepted, are helpers to the Immortals. Heroes will be able to do such thing as test areas and code prior to install, assist with advertising Legend, and more. The application can be found here.
Website Update: Newbie Section!
- Carnegie worked hard on adding in this new section of the website. This section gives a run-down of each hometown, including notable mobs, quest hints, skill teacher hints and more! We've also added in a line on character creation that shows a prospective new player the link for this section of the website. That link is here
- All currently non-banned, non-locked characters will
experience a 'clean slate' as far as their warnings go.
The warnings will remain on the player file for tracking and
Those who have permanently archived characters or those who are banned may make an appeal to email@example.com (see appeals process, below).
Appeals Process Change and Warning Mitigation
- Appeals will be conducted through the imps directly.
In order to start an appeal, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org with
Appeal' in the subject line. Mudmail to one or both imps will be considered as well, but there may be longer delays in starting the evaluation of an appeal when sent via mudmail.
- Any public posting on Legend-owned boards (in-game or web) about a warning prior to an appeal will invalidate any future appeal. Imm knowledge of appeals-through-other means (email, other boards) may be considered as part of the appeals process.
- The imps may elect to allow a player to mitigate up to 2 warnings in a calendar year by performing some level of 'community service' determined at the time of appeal judgment. This will be handled on a case-by-case basis and the imps always have the option to not offer a chance to mitigate a warning.
Multiple PKE characters!
- That's right, after all these years we've decided to allow players to have more than one PK enabled character. Of course, there are rules to this! You must have an account to take advantage of this new feature. See Rufus's Welcome board post for more details.
More Familiar Options for Create Mages!
- Tired of the same old imp? Want an owl instead? Now you can have not only the option of an owl, but a wolf, cat or crow as well! You simply add the familiar option after the 'ex' of the spell. You can only have one familiar at a time. It will only cast its spells once the previous ones are gone. Spell costs are the same.
New Cause Mage Spell: Fortification!
- Fortification is a new armor type of spell for 3rd circle cause mages that gives a small resistance much like stoneskin. I won't spoil what exactly it resists here, I'll let you all find out! Spell cost is in sync with stoneskin.
Changes to Weapon Quality!
- Effective quality of weapons has been increased. There are still
Q1-Q5 weapons, but the quality difference between Q1 and Q5 is now the
as Q3-Q5 was before. There are still as many stops in between, it's just
over a narrower range. The speed of Q5 weapons is not changing at all,
just the lower-quality ones.
This change makes newbie weapons a bit more useful as well as not having to go directly to q5 to get a 'decent' weapon. Incremental upgrades that are more rent friendly are more viable.
Weapons that are Q0 or less still suck, pretty much :)
- All multi-weapon swings (any time you're wielding a weapon, basically) you are guaranteed at least 2 attacks except under rare circumstances.
- Started in London, but now realize you'd rather be a mage than a surgeon? Now you can change your citizenship by going through one of the hometowns' citizenship quests. These quests are costly in experience, 37.5 million to be exact. It also requires that you have a total of 47.5 million experience. With that, you are also charged 100k gold during the quest. And they do require a good amount of work to complete. Once you've completed the quest, your skills and/or spells will be completely wiped and you will be able to then relearn skills for your new hometown. Those under level 11 can do these quests without cost. The quests for London, Arabia, Tara, Kleinstadt, and San Francisco are completed with Lima on the way soon.
- Nestor has been at it again, and now his London Update is ready for you
The streets of London open today on the West bank of the City of Westminster. You will be able to visit the famous Chamber of the Lords where politics of the English empire are debated, stroll under the tower of Big Ben and even visit the offices of Scotland Yard, the headquarters of the city police.
This mini-upgrade to the London hometown introduces a new setting for the town's citizenship quest as well as a few new quests, encounters and housing expansion!
And last, but certainly not least(because it took me long enough to finish it!)...
- In 85 AD, Rome had mostly rebuilt from the great fires that plagued the city
proper and slowly began to prosper once again. The Circus Maximus and
Colosseum were only two of the buildings completed during this time, not to
mention the repair of the Temple of Jupiter and the palace on Palatine Hill.
The Colosseum was once again the pride of Rome. To amuse himself, as well as the citizens, Domitian often held stranger-than-usual games, such as gladiator contests at night, female combatants, and dwarves.
Senators, once the real rulers of the empire, now feared their emperor. His harsh punishments and cruel ways made it obvious that he held contempt for the senate and its members.
That's right, Rome is finally finished! Visit the ancient city of Rome in the year 85AD. The Emperor Domitian's rebuilding of Rome is well underway. The Colosseum has just been completed and not too far behind is the Imperial Palace. Stroll the streets of Rome and visit the Forum Romanum. Stand under the arch of the great emperor Augustus, and if you dare, join in the gladiator battles! Not only can you fight the gladiators, but you can use this new arena to fight each other.
The practice Arena in Rome is the first of it's kind to use the ARENA flag code. This means that even if you aren't pkenabled you can fight at no loss. The arena announces the winners of the fights on the Arena channel. In the future, this arena can be used for PK tournaments as well.
Be sure to thank the staff for all the hard work they've put into yet another great birthday for Legend. They've all done a wonderful job!