Trees, weapons and other new stuff
As far as hunt going away, yeah it will make pk harder, but thats it. Well, thats it for all of us who know most of the old parts of the mud like the back of our hands. I can type myself from the Tara in to the agrabah in before my screen can catch up - and likewise from london in to zanzibar to bengal. But, for newbies who have no clue how to get to sanfran *comf* The tracks idea does sound cool though. We'll see.
Which brings me to another point - play test:
This going to be a period where waht we do is erased, rolled back, etc so that we can do whatever and not have it count? Although I personally dont like this, its probaby a good idea. I was hoping that you could leave pk on for this - with deadths not mattering we could get a real feal for how it will work under trees. Then maybe a no-PK 2 week period for all to adjust and get skills learned and practiced up. Hmm...
Ok, how about a few specifics:
Are there goign to be high secondary pre-reqs? I hope not if we are going to have high primary stats, ie 60 con to headbutt, then say 40 dex? Are spells like weaken, clumsy going to take immediate effect, or take several ticks to take effect (prolly wearing off before taking full effect) This IMHO suck for pk.
If they are not to, what about a spell, scroll, vial (opium), skill that causes minus 10 con?? With 2/3s of the mud prepign con mages/snipers for trees - this is a real issue i think.
Ok - unuff ramblings. Please append and thoughts.
Hunt for newbies is exactly why hunt should not be here--had we not had hunt in the first place, we would not bitch about its going away and stuff, and nothing would be a problem for true newbies who never had it to enjoy it.
Having a -con spell sounds very reasonable to me, but we'll probably need -perc/-spi spells as well if we are going to count on those stats playing a prominent role as well. It is not uncommon for dex fighters to equip themselves with 110 dex, and maybe same should be done for con warriors, as well as snipers.
Blind, i think, should be downgraded to work in stages as well. Giving similar effects to 'infra-vison' at early and late stage, or even by starting the effect you get when you are in a 'darker' room, those where you can see mobs but not the specific eq you are wearing. As of now, with the plans to have rent-dispel removed, and with the possibility to have boats portagable, chant meue lak vant ex will become even more powerful, and will seriously disadvantage a non- cause mage, or those who chose not to carry a cure-blind potion sacrificing +5 potential stat in fear of blindness.
As far as pk being allowed in the testing period goes, i think it'll be too painful and tedious unless you could code no-looting as well somehow. I mean (scratch that) never mind, pkill during the test period might be a good idea, and i think yet another skillwipe after the testing period might be good as well if players opt to do so after testing their chars out. Not everyone has the luxury of multiple, high-level characters that they can use to explore and learn the mud, so such maybe appropriate.
- Shemp asked how the fight system was changing--the best descriptions are in the FAQ on skill trees (on the web page and on the FTP site) and in a recent issue of the LT (likewise).
- people feeling that the projected HPs/mana were low--most of this is an illusion resulting from people levelling up with high stats from day one. Everyone has gotten used to having very high values for these, and the fact is that the new system implies a reinterpretation of what the value of a single hit point is; they won't necessarily be comparable in any meaningful way to what people have now.
- newbies who have no clue how to get to San Francisco ought to learn a way, not get told one mob that is over there and hunt to it. :P For that matter, if a newbie can hunt TO Frisco, something is really out of whack in hunt... :)
- play test period was currently planned to be a no-pk period, but the points given arguing for "double" testing are well-taken. So we'll see when the time comes. :)
- spells affecting stats will take immediate effect.
- spells exist internally already for raising and lowering all six stats. I don't know what plans may exist to make all of these chantable.
- making blind work in stages would be nice, but not in this pass, sorry. :) I agree that blindness is currently an extremely powerful tool, and it may be that a necessary intermediate step until we can rectify the balance issues would be to remove it while we find a way to fix it. We don't have time to rewrite it completely before trees go in, so we'll see how it does with all the other changes, and address it once we know what impact it has.
And, I too would like to see sancs removed from the game, or at least thier functionality changed somewhat. Perhaps they could could rent for 5000 and be as simple as +150 HP, you ould wear 2 if you wanted? Nah, that wont work. Hmm I dont know what would make them work. Maybe they should just be eliminated...
Potential HP/MANA table:
0 con/mind 400 HP 350 mind
10con 450 HP etc
50 con 750 HP
90 con 850 HP
100 con = 900HP (no sanc)
So, they will :)
i.e. all Q5 daggers do 6 damage by 12 attacks, all Q5 con weapons do 6 damage by 6 attacks and all str Q5 swords do 12 damage by 6 attacks. Yeah, yeah I know this puts them way outa spec. But it does effectivley balance the scales (considering the planned HP scale). Besides, whats "outa spec" mean anyway? Things that are outa spec are only outa spec til the so-called specs are changed. Look at how many items are 2k rent, +10 one stat, and -10 another? Isnt this "outa spec" in a sence? Shouldnt they be -5 whatever stat? Oh well I am ranting now, sorry.
No ideas on making sancs fair, Gho is right. The more HP you have, the more a sanc ring bends whats even and what isnt.
However a design decision was made to make dex fighters hit a greater % of the time. So, this has to be relatively universally applicable in order for it to be *possible* to balance the system. I get enough complaints already about how dex fighters are going to 'suck', the last thing I need is to have them actually suck. I'm a little at a loss as to how else to do it. If you can give me a completely balanced combat system (or one as balanced as what I'm doing) that you feel is better I'd be glad to look at it.
(well, it's not *quite* a 10-point scale, but they're set up to have the same magnitude of effect)
Re: Gho's post
I'm working on making sure that 100 mind for a mage, or 100 perc for a sniper is just as useful as a second fight stat. I think I'll even pull it off :)