............./ / THE LEGENDARY TIMES
............/ / http://www.legendmud.org/
........../ /...../ /./ \.../ /./ \...../ \
........./ /...../ ___/./ ____/../ ___/./ __ \.../ /\ \
......../ /...../ /_.../ /....../ /_.../ /..\ >./ /./ /
......./ /...../ __/../ /____../ __/../ /.../ /./ /./ /
....../ /_____/__/__../ \_\ /./ /__../ /.../ /./ /_/ /
...../ Celebrating / /./ /./ /./ /.../ /./ /
..../ our 11th year /_/..\______/./_____/./__/.../__/./_______/ MUD
.../________________/ running on mud.legendmud.org 9999
VOLUME TWELVE, Special Edition November 29, 2005
\ |-------------------------------------------------------------| /
/__| The Current Situation |__\
On the morning of 11/20, Legend experienced what can only be described
as a catastrophic failure. The controller which manages all of the
peripheral drives failed, taking it with the logic boards on the hard
drives as well as the CD ROM drive. It was a shock as well to find that
the off-machine/off-site backup procedures had also been silently
Since the 20th, we have been working hard to get as much back online as
we possibly could. We had a temporary "Beta MUD" up while we worked on
the mud machine, the code, areas, and many other sections behind the
scenes. As of the 22nd, we are set up as follows:
* We have received the cost estimate from the data recovery
* They believe they can recover close to 100% of the data on the
* The recovery process will take 4-7 business days.
* The estimated cost will be $2,250, though that isn't final yet.
* If they cannot recover an acceptable amount of the data (we
determine that amount), there will be no cost.
* Since we do not pay that cost until the data is recovered, no
donation account will be set up immediately.
What we are working with now:
* We have a live server up with data from 7/30 up at:
mud.legendmud.org 9999 as usual.
* Everything counts! In the event that the data recovery is
not possible, we will likely continue with this version of the
* Experience loss will be turned OFF! Places you would normally
lose experience, you will no longer lose experience during this
recovery time. We realize that some folks have figured out that
repeated pkilling can earn essentially 'free' experience. We
are turning off death xp loss as a courtesy and ask that you
do not abuse this in order to gain experience. We may take some
additional coding actions to prevent this if abuse continues.
* Deathtraps should be mostly inactive at the moment. Because there
are three distinct ways deathtraps work, we've gotten most, but
all of them. We should be rebooting sometime this week to fix the
rest of them.
* No reimburses will be done until we have the final results from
the data recovery effort. Do not ask for a reimburse of anything
at this time.
* If data is recoverable, we will offer to restore the character
from the data recovery effort, or the character from the period
between the 7/30 restore and the time the data is recovered.
* We may be able to do partial restores -- i.e. you can keep your
old eq set, but the new character, or the old character with the
new equipment set. After we know the full effect of the restore,
we will make a determination on what can and cannot be done.
* Characters created during this period of 4-7 business days will
be retained in any event, though name changes might be required
once we recover old data.
* The 'experience bonus' will not take place until after we know
what the ramifications of the recovery effort are.
* Housing and clan updates are turned off. This means that you
are not charged for housing at all in the nightly updates.
Clans will not auto-outcast people for lack of PK. They will
when we turn this feature back on, however.
* The website will not be updated until we know the status of
the data recovery. We have halted all non-high priority bug
fix commits until that time to ease the merge of files.
Haley has posted that she has all of the current photos for the
photo page, so there is no need to resend to her.
* Sandra put up a temporary voting page while the forums are down.
You can go to http://www.legendmud.org/voting.html to vote daily!
* To keep updated on the current progress with the machine and the
data recovery, go to http://mckimmey.org/legend.html
Thank you all again for your persistence and standing by us during
this rather unpleasant event.
The Immortal Staff
The Legendary Times is published by the immortals of LegendMUD.
Please send replies, additions, or corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org for
inclusion in the next issue. All subscription options are handled at:
www.legendmud.org/lists/listinfo/legendarytimes and submissions at:
www.legendmud.org/Community/ltsubmission.php. For RP submissions,
copyright ownership remains with the author. We do reserve the right to
moderate the forum and edit or reject any submission.