Documents of Interest
This page has different sorts of links:
- links useful to those interested in mud and online world design specifically.
- links that are about game design in general.
- links directly related to playing Legend or from Legend players
- Seph's Interview of Ptah
- Mud of the Month Interview
- An Essay on Ethics and Virtual Reality
- Scripting on Diku Derived MUDs
- A Story About A Tree
Studies and histories of specific online worlds
- Rider University once hosted Life at the Palace: a Cyberpsychology Case Study which was an extensive and detailed study of the graphical chat space The Palace
- Wired once hosted Killers Have More Fun an article by Dr Amy Jo Kim about Ultimate Online.
- On his site, Richard Bartle has a page of links to material about specific muds.
Papers, essays, references, and other research materials
- Richard Bartle's homepage has a multitude of good material on it. Some of the more notable material includes:
- The Arch-Wizard Archives contains Michael Lawrie's "Confessions of an Arch-wizard" which is a seminal document on how to administrate muds.
- Howard Rheingold's Brainstorms has a few items of interest to mud designers:
- A chapter from Virtual Communities that deals with muds
- An essay entitled "Virtual Communities, Phony Civil Society?" which has interesting implications for those interested in virtual societies.
- Another essay, by Jan Fernback & Brad Thompson, entitled "Virtual Communities: Abort, Retry, Failure?" that covers similar territory.
- The fantastic Papers - [ Synchronous Communications | VR | 3D ] page indexes and lists abstracts for a virtual mountain of important papers on muds, including work by Elizabeth Reid, Julian Dibbell, Richard MacKinnon, Richard Bartle, Amy Bruckman, Pavel Curtis, and others.
- Marian Griffith's Roleplaying page includes her !Overlord Project, which is a collaborative design for a roleplaying-focused mud.
General game design sites and documents
- Items by Chris Crawford:
- His seminal book The Art of Computer Game Design
- Various writings of his on game design
- GameDev's library of game design links.
- Gamasutra is a game development industry hangout that often features game design articles.
- Arkenstone's original draft of Viking Scandinavia, with commentary.